Prosecutors are now deciding whether criminal charges are to be brought after the death of four workers died in a huge explosion at Bosley Wood Treatment.
Police have confirmed they have sent the file of evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service – three-and-a-half years after the blast caused the four-storey Bosley mill collapse.
Top row from left: Derek Moore, aged 62, of Colclough Lane, Goldenhill and William Barks, aged 51, of Dalehouse Road, Cheddleton; Bottom row from left: Dorothy Bailey, aged 62, from Bosley and Jason Shingler, aged 38, from Sycamore Avenue, Congleton all died in the mill explosion.
Around 35 other people were assessed by paramedics with four taken to specialist units and many more were left suffering with the psychological trauma of their ordeal.
Police have carried out a ‘complex investigation’ into the incident with the Crown Prosecution Service now looking into whether charges should be pressed over the fatalities and injuries.
A Cheshire Police spokesman said: “Since the tragic events on the July 17, 2015 at Wood Treatment Ltd in Bosley, which injured many and claimed the lives of four people Cheshire Constabulary, alongside Cheshire Fire & Rescue Service and the Health and Safety Executive has been carrying out an extensive and complex investigation into the explosion that occurred.
“We can now confirm that a file of evidence has been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service for their consideration. The thoughts of everyone at Cheshire Constabulary very much remain with all those affected by the events of that day, and officers continue to provide specialist support to the families involved.”
The explosion tore through the Wood Treatment Ltd plant just after 9 am Friday July 17, 2015.
Hundreds of thousands of pounds have been raised for the Bosley Disaster Fund – set up to support the families of those killed or injured.
Asked about progress on the investigation into the four fatalities last year, an HSE spokesman said: “We continue to support the police-led investigation as we have done over the past three years, with inspectors and specialists from a broad range of disciplines and divisions working very closely with officers from Cheshire Police.”
A Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “The events at Bosley three years ago today remains one of the most difficult, testing and emotionally devastating incidents we have ever dealt with. Our thoughts are very much with the family, friends and community in Bosley.”