Fifth man jailed following Rainow robbery

A fifth gang member, that raided a home in Rainow and threatened the occupants with knives and hammers, has been jailed.

Collins Mukonowatsauka, appeared at Chester Crown Court on Wednesday 10 February, where he was sentenced to seven-and-a-half years in prison. The 22-year-old, of Eastern By-Pass, Openshaw, Manchester, had previously pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary. 

His sentencing follows on from that of Rebanne Cantrill, 19, Devon Patterson, 22, John McLeod, 20, and Jordon Morrissey, 19, who had all pleaded guilty to robbery and possession of an offensive weapon

Between them the gang have now been sentenced to a combined total of more than 45 years. 

Cantrill from Manchester, was sentenced to 14 years in prison; Patterson, of Stan Jolley Walk, Manchester, was jailed for 10-and-a-half years; McLeod, of Back Haslam Street, Bury, was handed an eight-and-a-half-year custodial sentence; and Morrisey, of no fixed abode, was sentenced to eight years detention at a young offender’s institute.

The victims, a married couple and their 10-year-old child, were getting ready for dinner at their home in Rainow, on the evening of 17 December 2019, when the gang burst into the property. The men held the victims at knifepoint and threatened them with a claw hammer, demanding their savings, also stealing their mobile phones and passcodes for them. 

They then forced the victims to hand over their wristwatches, along with other watches and valuable items from a jewellery box. 

During a search of the house, the gang thought they’d been spotted by a neighbour and fearing that the police had been called, made an unsuccessful attempt to steal the family car, before eventually fleeing the scene on foot into the surrounding fields. 

While the offenders made their escape, the victims locked all their windows and doors and called the police. Cantrill, Patterson, McLeod and Morrissey were all quickly arrested after being located by a police helicopter. Mukonowatsauka initially managed to escape the scene. However, he was subsequently identified by officers through DNA evidence.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply