- What’s On
- Local Information
- Contact Us
Cheshire police officers are warning residents to remain vigilant following reports of rogue traders operating in the area.
Over the last few weeks officers have received several reports of vulnerable and elderly residents of Knutsford being targeted by cold callers offering work to be carried out on their property.
Sergeant Andrew Baker, of Knutsford Police, said: “I want to take this opportunity to remind the local community to be vigilant and to call police if you become suspicious of anyone who comes to your door offering to carry out work.
“I would also ask residents to look out for their elderly or vulnerable neighbours by reporting any suspicious activity to officers and checking on their welfare.”
There are a number of steps residents can take to avoid doorstep crime:
• Always check the identity of the doorstep caller by telephoning the company they are claiming to be from. Use the telephone listed in your local phonebook or off the company website. Do not use a number the caller gives you
• Check whether traders are members of the Local Authority Assured Trader Schemes or the Government Trust Mark Scheme
• Discuss any work you feel needs carrying out on your property with a relative or a friend who can help you find a reputable trader
• Don’t agree to anything on the spot, or sign anything. Do not feel pressured into having work carried out
• Never pay cash upfront and don’t ever go to the bank or cashpoint with a trader
Anyone with information about rogue traders is urged to contact Cheshire Police on 101 or 999 if there is a crime in progress. Information can also be passed on anonymously by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.